Updated: Jul 19
Changes to Environment
Photos of the Children’s Families and Families Around the World Family Figurines Photo Albums Multicultural Paint Multicultural Paper Multicultural Crayons Books about families Fake Eye Glasses Purse Wallet Plastic keys Laptop Cell phone Vehicles Grandma and/or Grandpa Hat Apron Picnic Basket People Stamps Family Puppets Newspaper Family file folder game Wooden spoon people-homemade
Water Table: family figurines, fake glasses, plastic keys, dishes, sponge, soap, etc Sensory Table: crinkle paper ("noodles"), Chinese take out boxes, plastic Chinese soup bowls w/spoons, plastic tongs, family counters, family picture etc
Teaching Concepts for Indoor Experiences
1. Make a Family Tree 2. Look at pictures of our families and talk about our families and how each one is unique 3. Paint or draw a family portrait 4. Look at pictures and talk about what activities you do with your family. 5. Pretend picnic 6. Wash baby dolls, change diaper, put clothes on. 7. Make a family collage out of magazine clippings of families 8. Make a shoe box house 9. Make a playdough family 10. Sort pictures of family from big to little and little to big 11. Feed the baby pretend play 12. Practice cutting by cutting newspaper or magazine 13. Roll out play dough using rolling pin then use cookie cutters to cut and lay out on baking pan, pretend to make cookies
14. Shape House
15. Who Is That?
In advance, cut out pairs of people (adult woman, man, child, baby, grandparent, pets).
Laminate both sets.
Tape one set in a manila folder.
The children match the people shapes.
16. Family Sort
In advance, cut out and laminate a large number of people, families and others that go with this preschool family activities theme from magazines.
Simply place them at the table for the children to sort in different ways.
17. My Family Playdough Mats
18. Where Do I Live ?
Teaching Concepts for Outdoor Experiences
1. Family Clothing Sort Materials needed: boxes, bins, laundry baskets, different sized shoes and shirts. Place all the items in a large pile. Have the children work together to sort them by type. Encourage them to sort in other ways (all baby shoes and shirts, etc.) 2. Car wash 3. Where Shall We Go? Place many chairs together as a car and let the children take turns being the person driving the family some fun family activities such as to……the park, school, work, supermarket, etc. 4. Build a family house using blocks
Teaching Concepts for Music Movement Wellness IMIL
1. I love Mommy( can add daddy, brother, sister, etc.) (tune: Frere Jacques) I love Mommy, I love Mommy. Yes I do, yes I do. And mommy loves me, Yes, my mommy loves me, Loves me too; loves me too. 2. Family Picnic (tune: Teddy Bear Picnic) Let’s all go to the woods today, We’re sure of a big surprise. Let’s all go to the woods today, We’ll walk there side by side. We know that we’ll have lots of fun, We’ll eat and play and dance and run. Today’s the day we have our family picnic! 3. With My Family (tune: Muffin Man) Tell me what you like to do Like to do, like to do Tell me what you like to do With your family. ______likes to _______ _______,______ ______ likes to _____. With his/her family. (insert children’s names and what they like to do with their family in the blanks) 4. My puppy My puppy has a doghouse, just outside my door. He licks me when I pet him and he wags his tail for more. He’s always there beside me, no matter what I do. My puppy is my special friend, and a family member too! 5. You Are My Sunshine! 6. I Love You (Barney song)
7. My Family (sung to Muffin Man)
Tell me what you like to do, like to do, like to do.
Tell me what you like to do with your family.
Add what each child tells you:
Cheryl likes to walk the dog, walk the dog, walk the dog.
Cheryl likes to walk the dog, with her family!
8. Our House
Here are the windows (make a square)
Here is the door (make a triangle)
Come on in, I'll show you more (wave as though inviting them to come)
Here is the kitchen and the living room, too (point to pretend rooms)
A bathroom, a bedroom and a room for you!
An attic and chimney and a roof above.
My house is a home and it's filled with love!
Teaching Concepts for Fingerplays
1. My Family Here is Daddy (thumb) Here is Mommy (index) Here I am for three (pinky) Together we’re a family, As happy as can be! (clap) 2. My House Here are the windows, Here is the door. Come on in, I’ll show you more. Here is the kitchen, the living room too. A bathroom, three bedrooms, and room for you! An attic, a chimney, and a roof above. My house is a home, ‘Cause it’s filled with lots of love! 3. A Family Fingerplay This is a family (hold up one hand, fingers spread) Let’s count them and see How many there are And who they can be (count 1,2,3,4,5) This is the mother (touch pointer finger) Who loves everyone And this is the father (touch big finger) Who is lots of fun. This is my sister (touch ring finger) She helps and she plays And this is the baby (touch little finger) He’s growing each day. But who is this one? He’s out there all alone, Why it’s Jackie the dog, And he’s chewing on a bone. (wiggle thumb) 4. Family Items These are Mother’s knifes and forks (interlocking as in praying fingers and lift them slightly) And this is our dining table (lower fingers keeping them interlocked, straighten wrist to form a flat surface) This is Sister’s looking glass (form a circle by touching thumbs and index finger) And this is the Baby’s cradle (cup hands together to form a cradle) 5. Grandmother’s Glasses These are Grandmother’s glasses (make circles around each eye with fingers) This is Grandmother’s cap ( hold fingers interlocked over head) This is the way she folds her hands (fold hands) And lays them in her lap (lay hands in lap) 6. Skidamarink